Opposition Blocks Passage of Food Safety Bill
Today, the NDP and the Liberals blocked a motion from Minister Ritz to accelerate passage of the Safe Foods for Canadians Act.
The Safe Foods for Canadians Act has been before Parliament since June 7, 2012.
This bill gives food safety officials in Canada more flexibility to protect Canadians from food borne illnesses.
The Opposition voted against our Government’s investments to modernize Canada’s food safety system and to hire new food inspectors.
Today’s delay tactics prove once again that the NDP is all talk, no action when it comes to the safety of Canadians’ food.
More about the Safe Foods for Canadians Act
This legislation will enhance food safety in Canada by:
- Increasing fines and enforcement for bad actors.
- Giving Inspectors the right tools to do their jobs.
- Traceability requirements for all animals and food throughout the food supply.
- Enhancing controls over imports coming into Canada.
- Licensing and registration of establishments (currently only done for meat, dairy and a few other commodities).
- Complaints and appeals mechanism to provide oversight for CFIA decisions.